- February 15, 2023
- April 15, 2023
- June 1, 2023
- July 5, 2023
- September 19, 2023
- November 2–12, 2023
The Philadelphia Asian American Film Festival focuses on film and other media by, for, and/or about the Asian & Pacific Islander* diaspora community.
PAAFF accepts films that have at least one person of Asian and Pacific Islander descent in a key creative role (director, DP, producer, writer, actor, etc…) and/or are about the Asian & Pacific Islander diasporic experience in the United States and around the world. PAAFF has historically featured works with themes involving, but NOT limited to, Asian and Pacific Islander diasporic cultures, histories, and experiences.
*Asian & Pacific Islander includes, but is NOT limited to people from and are descended from areas now known as Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikstan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, the Maldives, Nepal, Tibet, Mongolia, China, Russia, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Burma, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore, Indonesia, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Micronesia, and the Pacific Islands
- Feature Film (Narrative, Documentary): Fiction or non-fiction film of any genre, principally created by and/or about Asian & Pacific Islander diasporic storytellers. Films eligible for this category MUST have a running time of at least 40 minutes and are expected to present at the festival as a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) or as otherwise discussed.
- Short Film (Narrative, Documentary): Fiction or non-fiction film (including music videos, episodic, etc…) principally created by and/or about Asian & Pacific Islander diasporic storytellers. Films eligible for this category MUST have a running time under 40 minutes and are expected to present at the festival as a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) or as otherwise discussed.
RULES & REGULATIONS
- The Philadelphia Asian American Film Festival DOES NOT PAY EXHIBITION FEES.
- PAAFF accepts films of all premiere statuses, including films that have distribution.
- If selected for the Festival, filmmakers are responsible for their own print shipping costs. PAAFF will pay for return shipping. DVD/Blu-ray screeners will not be returned.
- All final works must be completed and shipped 4 weeks before the festival opening or by the date communicated with the festival staff.
- It is the responsibility of the submission contact to ensure that all requirements are met. The Festival retains the right to disqualify an entry, with no refunded fee, if rules and regulations are not followed.
- The Festival retains the right to disqualify an entry with no refunded fee if the film contact for a selected film fails to respond to email correspondence from the Festival by deadline.
- Best Narrative Feature
- Best Documentary Feature
- Best Narrative Short
- Best Documentary Short
- Vijay Mohan Social Change Award